Sunday, April 05, 2009

This is not my hair






The title of this blog post is a play on The Treachery of Images, a series of paintings by René Magritte. One of the paintings he did in this series was of a pipe, with the caption "Ceci n'est pas une pipe" (English translation: This is not a pipe). His whole point was that the painting is just a painting, however close to the actual object it may seem to be.

I gave that boring explanation to say this: This post was inspired by an online friend who I met for the first time (Hi Tam). We met, and one of the first things she said was something like "your hair looks so different in person." LOL. I agree. I don't know what she meant by her statement ("Angela, your hair is even more fabulous than I thought" or "Wow, your hair is interesting"). However I know things that I've noticed about my pics versus my hair in person. In pics, I don't think you can tell that my hair is really frizzy. You can't always tell that my locks are of several different sizes. You can't get a good sense of the texture, and you definitely can't get a sense of how dry (or not) it is, how healthy (or not) it is. I share my pictures and thoughts about my hair, and I'm happy other people are reading it and getting something from it (whether it's entertainment, knowledge, a different perspective, or whatever). However, I do forget to blog things, and I don't take perfect representative pictures, so this is not a complete representative of me or my hair. I've been wanting to say something like this for a while. :-)

(Eventually I'll style my hair again, and have more interesting pictures.)

6 comments:

QueenLi said...

Hey girl *Smiles* *hugs*

Locks look nice, very Nice! :)
I know what you mean, when it comes to pics, and I don't have any help in taking mine, so I really don't have good pics to post. To see my progress, you would have to see me in person. I have over an inch of locked hair and most people still think I just have braids.

Take care~

aybee77 said...

:-D

TamCM said...

Hey Ang. Wish we had more time to sit down and chit chat. Yeah your hair looked really really great in person. Like I know my hair is different looking that my photos. So it def was not a negative comment :-) I so wanted to really touch it and all that but then I would have been like those people we don't like, lol. To me it didn't look dry. I have a good friend who has mani locks and hers looks so shiny in comparison to mine. So I believe because ours isn't smoothed around in a coil, it will look dry but in fact it isn't.

So I would love to meet up when you return to my hometown. It's so much down here that you should see. When I take a trip to your town, I will give you a holla as well.

aybee77 said...

@ Tam

Yeah, I know. Such a short amount of time. Next time. (I could tell you wanted to touch it too, LOL. I was going to say you could, but I thought that would have been presumptuous of me when you hadn't brought it up.)

Also, at the hotel where I was staying, I saw a dude that has manicured locks, and they were shiny too. I was amazed.

Titus 2 Thandi said...

Thank you.It's so weird. I thought maybe my picture-taking skills were very bad cos the picture never seemed to show what I see!

aybee77 said...

@ Thandi

Exactly!