Tuesday, December 18, 2007

2 1/2 months: Buds, Separation, and Thoughts

Well, it's been 2 1/2 months, and my hair is definitely locking. I took a few pics straight in from work.







That pic of the back of my head is cool to me, didn't know my hair looked like that from behind. Here are a couple of pics of some baby locks.






It's cool to me watching them develop. That second pic may look like unlocked hair, but the bottom 1/2 of that one definitely feels different than the top unlocked portion. I also took a few pictures of my hair wet after being shampooed. I think it's easier to tell that my hair is locking when it's not completely dry.





After I shampoo my hair, I separate it. Here is how my hair looks before it's separated.





I feel kind of torn about separating the hair. It really feels like I am stressing it too much. Sometimes I feel that if my hair were shorter, or I were separating into larger sections it would be easier. I feel like it's taking too long to separate the hair. Looking at that last picture, I can see why sometimes it seems crazy, like I don't even know where to start. I didn't have this problem previous times I tried to lock my hair via freeform. I just waited for buds to form, and separated from there. This time, I am trying to separate the coils in my hair, and it's not always easy.

Also, I can't really imagine myself with long thin locks, I think that larger locks would look better long. But with short hair, I imagine that smaller locks would look better. I don't know, I'm confusing myself again. Maybe I can just separate once a week instead of every time I wash my hair. It seems like I am focusing too much on my hair, when in locking my hair, my goal was the opposite, to not give too much attention to it. I don't know why I always do this -- find something wrong with my hair. Dammit, girl, it's not rocket science. Whatever you do to your hair, if you don't comb it, it will lock. You know that, now live it.

8 comments:

TamCM said...

Angie darling your hair looks magnificent. I just mouthed the words oh my god. The back is just a wonderful sight to see. Look at all those tiny coils. I think you will achieve those small freeforms you were shooting for. They are so cute. As far as the separating, don't stress. I felt EXACTLY like you. I didn't know if I was making any difference by separating after every wash. Looking back, I would have not worried so much about separating. I say that because the front had no definition at all unlike the back. The back was easier to keep separated because it's softer and looser. The front was literally an afro and after a week or so of washing and not separating after each wash, they started making it's own separations. If they were too small, then I would manually separate them. So do what your mind and heart tell you and not to worry about doing it each time. I'm glad I figured it out on within the 2 months rather than later on. Your hair looks amazing. I can't get over how long it is.

TamCM said...

Ok I just saw that your blog goes back to 2005. How did I miss that? At work tomorrow, I will read it from the beginning. Glad to have some good reading tomorrow.

aybee77 said...

Thanks for the compliments Tam. I am stressing it so much, and others around me say it looks good. I am my worst critic, I guess.

Yeah, I was separating the top too, but it has no definition, so I think I will wait for it to group itself like you did. It's cool seeing how someone else had / has the same concerns that I did.

Yeah, my blog goes back to 2005 (insert roll eyes smilie and embarassed / blushing smilie here). That's when I started wanting to get my thoughts down about why I kept taking down my hair after some months. Can you believe that the first time I locked my hair, I did it freeform in 2001?!? I think the old blogs are just me being neurotic and complaining a lot, lol. Not many pictures either.

I think this time is going to stick, though, and I really want you to know that you would be part of the reason why.

Thanks for visiting.

TamCM said...

2001! I am not going to rub it in and say how so far over the hump you would be by now. How much length you would have by now, LOL. Hey it's ok though. This is something not for everyone and not to be taken lightly. We have to KNOW we want it otherwise, it won't work. I feel I am at the point of no return. I wouldn't dare try to undo these buddies. You are equally reason as to why I will keep with it too. Gosh we are some chicks with high self esteem. This isn't ordinary to folks but we are doing it and the reward is going to be unimagineable. Ok off to read your blogs with some wine :-)

TamCM said...

After reading all of your entries, I see why you are concerned about keeping with it. I honestly think you can do it. Remember we are doing this together and we go through the same struggles equally so to speak. I had to get used to my "new" look and so will you. I think you already are. Like you said, just jazz up a bit. I am an earring person so now that addiction just doubled. Keep up the good work. I want to see that long hair of yours freeform and dread

aybee77 said...

Thanks for the encouragement. :-) I read these and other comments made when I am feeling low.

LOL and :-P at you rubbing it in.

Kymani M. Jade said...

Look at all the cute coils!! Love it!

aybee77 said...

Thanks MoreLyrical! I can't wait until they look like locks, but the way they look now is cool too.